Sunday, May 31, 2009

Not much going on these days in Ye Olde Shoppe.I think I've made more of my own clothes than I ever have since I've been there.
One interesting thing: there was a demonstration at the corner of Thayer and Waterman Sts. on Friday.
I was going to the optomotrist right there on that corner, on my lunch break, and I noticed two things:one, that there were at least twenty to thirty Providence policemen standing on the side of the science building and some on the opposite corner.But there was nothing happening, they were all just standing around.The other thing I noticed at just about the same time, was that my all time favorite stationery store, Morrison's was closed!
I went into the optomotrist and I said ,"I have two questions: one, why are all those cops out there, and, two, what happened to Morrison's?!
The optomotrist (I don't know his name) shook his head sadly and said"Yeah, he had been here for 19 years, and he sold real quality products. He sold the place to some chain burger joint, and he 's opening a new store in Knoxville.Thayer St. is becoming a food court."
I am so bummed! That's where I whenever I wanted a special present for myself.I bought some real nice fountain pens there. That makes me so sad.
But, he said he had no idea why the cops were there.
Well, as we sat there checking my eyes, I said, "Ill bet there's going to be a demonstration", and we got up to look, and sure enough, there were these people carrying signs that said things that made me sick to my stomach! Things like"Faggot University" and "God Hates Faggots", and one about Obama being a beast, and other disgusting abortion things like "You Would Eat Your Babies!" .
They were on the side where the cops were.I went outside, and some young people had started to gather with counter signs, that said nice things like,PLEASE GO AWAY!
I found out the demonstrators were affiliated with soome weird church in Kansas.Someone told me that they hate all liberals, Jews, but especially homosexuals; and they think that God is punishing theUS for it's tolerance of homosexuality by letting soldiers die in Iraq.One of thier signs said"PRAY FOR MORE DEAD SOLDIERS!"
Christ, how stupid are they if they can't even put up a sign that people can figure out!
Well, it was quite a bit of excitement.Reminded me of the old days.I called Rona and told him about it.he said"Fran, don't get arrested!".I sure felt liked doing something.Finally I said to the kids making the signs,"Make one that says "TAKE DRUGS, GET HAPPY!".They laughed.
I left, and as I walked back up Waterman St, I yelled at the people sitting in the traffic jam, "Run them over!'.
They went all over the city that afternoon.They went to two temples(I asked the kid who seemed to know all about these people if they were Holocaust Deniers, he said,"No, they EMBRACE the holocaust!" Unbelievable.
What I should have said to them was"Half of our police force has been taken away to protect you people, and we are paying for that, why don't you like us??????"
Well, that's it from here.
Emily , how do I add the other names to this blog?

Love, and have a great summer!
Fran

No comments:

Post a Comment